Bodrum is a famous place with its shipyards, yachts spreading in the world of fame, narrow streets going down to the sea, white houses lined up on the shores of two ports and a castle tower rising on the peninsula, which has been formed by the merging of eastern and western harbors.
It is not in vain that Homer’s said that he was the ‘Country of eternal blues’ and that another Cevat Shakir of Bodrum was ‘living in the light here in another place and in the light’. Throughout history, the former name of Halikarnassos, then Bodrum, has been a place that can not be shared and is always struggled for.
Today, Bodrum is an important tourism center where all the elements expected from a holiday region can be gathered in summer and winter. From rich yachts from all over the world to a group of income that can spend a long summer vacation in a pantry with limited budget, it has the equipment to meet the expectations of all segments.
History: Bodrum has cradled many civilizations in the past. Bodrum has been an important center for those who want to establish dominance in the Mediterranean. The area between Ionia and Likia is Karia (Karia), which is smaller than the others. Halikarnassos (Bodrum) was one of the important cities of Karya. The regional historian Heredot, the first female admiral of history, Artemisia I, and the successful admiral II. Artemisia, Leachares, Shepas.
Places of Interest Antique Cities
Antique Theater: It is located on Bodrum-Turgutreis road. The stage section was unearthed from the excavations of 13,000 theatricians and the seats were restored.
Rock Tombs: Above the theater, there are rock graves belonging to the Hellenistic and Roman devrine on the slope.
Myndos Gate: It was one of the entrance gates of Halikarnassos to the west of the city. The Myndos gate consisted of two monumental towers and an inner courtyard in which the door that had entered the city was located. The first phase of the repair of the walls and towers to the north of this door was completed in 1999.
Çifıt Castle (Aspat): It is located on a rocky plateau close to Bağla bay in the south-western part of the year. There are remains of various civilizations.
Ancient Cities: Myndos (Gümüşlük), Termena (Akçaalan) Telmisos (Gürece), Kadıyanda (Aşağıgöl), Theangela (Etrin) are antique cities located on the peninsula.
Stratonikeia: On the Yatağan – Milas highway, the ruins in Eskihisar village are home to rich remains of Karya, Roman and Byzantine periods.
Lagina: Yatağan is reached by going to the Hekate shrine in Turgut on a dirt road (9 km.). It is understood from the excavations that Lagina, one of the important centers of Karia, has been inhabited since the ancient bronze age.
Sedir Adeun (Kedreae): Gökova – Sedir Island, which can be reached by sea from Akyaka or Çamlıköy, is located in the historical places with its natural and historical beauties. Apollo Temple, theater, ancient harbor are the first to be seen on the island. The famous Cleopatra beach is also the island.
Cisterns: Almost entirely in half, cisterns built by the Ottomans and defined today as ‘Gümbet’ are visible. They were built by their wealthy people in their own name.
Bodrum Castle (Saint Petrum): M.S. By the Knights of Rhodes in the 15th century St. It was built in 99 years in the name of Peter. Halikarnassos was first established on the island of Zephyrion. During the construction of the fortress, the stones and reliefs of the Mausolos Monument Mausoleum were used on the castle walls. During the Ottoman period, a minaret was added to the church in the castle and turned into a mosque. There is also a small Turkish bath built. The fortress, which was used as a prison in 1595, is now a museum. There are 5 towers in the area with an area of about 30,000 m². These are French, English, Italian, German towers and Yilanli Kule.
Mustafa Pasha Mosque: Mustafa Pasha of Kızılhisar built this mosque when he came to Bodrum to build a shipyard (1723).
Tepecik Mosque: It was built by Hamam Ağa, the prophet of Mustafa Pashan.
Courthouse Mosque: II. It was made in 1901 with the money sent by Abdulhamit and collected from him.